Monday, November 12, 2007

VETERANS DAY READ FROM THE DAILY HERALD




A fallen soldier's heartfelt last words to family
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Before he left to train for a second tour of duty in Iraq, Marine Cpl.
Joseph E. Stevenson III of Downers Grove wrote a letter to his family,
in case he did not return.

Read the full story at
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=75390

A fallen soldier's heartfelt last words to family
Published: 11/11/2007 12:08 AM

Before he left to train for a second tour of duty in Iraq, Marine Cpl. Joseph E. Stevenson III of Downers Grove wrote a letter to his family, in case he did not return.

Stevenson, 20, died in his sleep on Oct. 28 at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Stevenson was buried last week with full military honors. His parents, Barbara Ann and Joseph E. Stevenson Jr., have given the media permission to reprint their son's letter over the Veterans Day weekend.

Here is Joe's letter:

I've been trying to write this letter for a long time now, but as I am getting ready to leave I need to finish it. It's my best attempt at trying to comfort you if anything happens to me. I hope it helps if anything should happen to me.

First of all, I only ask a few things of you if something should happen. I want to be buried in a National Cemetery with a full military funeral, that is the only way I want to leave this life. Next, I want you to proudly fly an American flag and a Marine Corps flag so that everyone knows the price we've paid for the great country we have. And if anyone asks you why you fly them tell them not to remember me but the price our country has paid for its freedom. I want you to do whatever you find necessary with the money I left you. Make sure Lindsey's college is paid, and Dad get the foosball table I know you've wanted. And Mom I want you to enjoy it however you please.

The most important thing I ask of you is to remember me as the great young man you raised. In past attempts to write this letter I listed some great memories I enjoyed with you. I don't think that I need to do that. Just remember the great times we've had on the patio talking of those while enjoying a beer. That to me is some of the best times we've had and when I am away from home that is what I miss the most.

If something would happen to me I am not afraid for me but only the people I love so much back home. I know that this letter can't fix that, but I hope it helps you. I would never want my passing to cause fighting among the close knit family we've made over the years. I hope it brings you closer and helps you realize just how important family is.

Don't let my passing bring out hatred for the Corps or our Country. I hope it only strengthens your support for the war and the Men and Women who fight for our freedom.

Since I've been in I grew a new appreciation for our Country and Military. I know you have done this too. I can tell by the way you support me. I don't know too many parents who show this much support. With out all of your support I don't know if I could have made it this far.

As a family you have done so much for me and I could not ask for another Mom, Dad, or Sister that has done as much as you have for me.

I hope you never have to read this letter. If you do, realize that if I had a chance to do it all over again I would change nothing. I am ready to die if I need to, but I am not ready to leave you.

If I learned one thing in my life it is how important family is. No matter what you do or where you go your family will be behind you and still love you. You have done everything you can for me and what happens to me in Iraq is up to God. But if I have to die I will be watching over the family and loved ones who have given me so much in the past. I won't be leaving you though cause I know I will see you again in heaven.

I don't know how to end this letter but all I can leave you is the motto I have lived by since my time in the Corps. Semper Fidelis. Always faithful to God, Corps, and Country. And most importantly Family. Live the rest of your life to the fullest and don't mourn my death too long. Instead remember the memories we have, and know that I will see you again some day in heaven.

Semper Fidelis

Your Loving Son

Joe

No comments:

Giants Top Minor League Prospects

  • 1. Joey Bart 6-2, 215 C Power arm and a power bat, playing a premium defensive position. Good catch and throw skills.
  • 2. Heliot Ramos 6-2, 185 OF Potential high-ceiling player the Giants have been looking for. Great bat speed, early returns were impressive.
  • 3. Chris Shaw 6-3. 230 1B Lefty power bat, limited defensively to 1B, Matt Adams comp?
  • 4. Tyler Beede 6-4, 215 RHP from Vanderbilt projects as top of the rotation starter when he works out his command/control issues. When he misses, he misses by a bunch.
  • 5. Stephen Duggar 6-1, 170 CF Another toolsy, under-achieving OF in the Gary Brown mold, hoping for better results.
  • 6. Sandro Fabian 6-0, 180 OF Dominican signee from 2014, shows some pop in his bat. Below average arm and lack of speed should push him towards LF.
  • 7. Aramis Garcia 6-2, 220 C from Florida INTL projects as a good bat behind the dish with enough defensive skill to play there long-term
  • 8. Heath Quinn 6-2, 190 OF Strong hitter, makes contact with improving approach at the plate. Returns from hamate bone injury.
  • 9. Garrett Williams 6-1, 205 LHP Former Oklahoma standout, Giants prototype, low-ceiling, high-floor prospect.
  • 10. Shaun Anderson 6-4, 225 RHP Large frame, 3.36 K/BB rate. Can start or relieve
  • 11. Jacob Gonzalez 6-3, 190 3B Good pedigree, impressive bat for HS prospect.
  • 12. Seth Corry 6-2 195 LHP Highly regard HS pick. Was mentioned as possible chip in high profile trades.
  • 13. C.J. Hinojosa 5-10, 175 SS Scrappy IF prospect in the mold of Kelby Tomlinson, just gets it done.
  • 14. Garett Cave 6-4, 200 RHP He misses a lot of bats and at times, the plate. 13 K/9 an 5 B/9. Wild thing.

2019 MLB Draft - Top HS Draft Prospects

  • 1. Bobby Witt, Jr. 6-1,185 SS Colleyville Heritage HS (TX) Oklahoma commit. Outstanding defensive SS who can hit. 6.4 speed in 60 yd. Touched 97 on mound. Son of former major leaguer. Five tool potential.
  • 2. Riley Greene 6-2, 190 OF Haggerty HS (FL) Florida commit.Best HS hitting prospect. LH bat with good eye, plate discipline and developing power.
  • 3. C.J. Abrams 6-2, 180 SS Blessed Trinity HS (GA) High-ceiling athlete. 70 speed with plus arm. Hitting needs to develop as he matures. Alabama commit.
  • 4. Reece Hinds 6-4, 210 SS Niceville HS (FL) Power bat, committed to LSU. Plus arm, solid enough bat to move to 3B down the road. 98MPH arm.
  • 5. Daniel Espino 6-3, 200 RHP Georgia Premier Academy (GA) LSU commit. Touches 98 on FB with wipe out SL.

2019 MLB Draft - Top College Draft Prospects

  • 1. Adley Rutschman C Oregon State Plus defender with great arm. Excellent receiver plus a switch hitter with some pop in the bat.
  • 2. Shea Langliers C Baylor Excelent throw and catch skills with good pop time. Quick bat, uses all fields approach with some pop.
  • 3. Zack Thompson 6-2 LHP Kentucky Missed time with an elbow issue. FB up to 95 with plenty of secondary stuff.
  • 4. Matt Wallner 6-5 OF Southern Miss Run producing bat plus mid to upper 90's FB closer. Power bat from the left side, athletic for size.
  • 5. Nick Lodolo LHP TCU Tall LHP, 95MPH FB and solid breaking stuff.