Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Tim Howard's masterful night | Yahoo Sports






Watching the USA - Belgium match, I was reminded of the story that hit my mailbox July 1st courtesy of FCA featuring Tim Howard ( and shown below ).  First, this is an amazing back story regarding his struggle with Tourette Syndrome and how he was able to overcome it and rise to the level he has. Pretty remarkable. Second, the title of the story Peace in the Midst of Chaos was very prophetic given his performance yesterday on the field.


from Yahoo Sports:
Tim Howard's masterful night | Watch the video - Yahoo Sports:
The U.S. Men's National Team goalkeeper did something no player has ever done for the Americans in the World Cup.
'via Blog this'

An amazing night for American soccer, in spite of the result, they will not only have to figure out how to replace the strength provided by Tim Howard, but figure out why he was put in the place of having to make a record number of save in the first place.

With the USA and my next favorite Italy out of the competition, it will be hard to maintain my attention, but like the Olympics, the World Cup is a magnet to me for a sport that I would generally have zero interest in except every four years. It's just so hard to get excited about backing the Germans, the French or the Dutch. I actually thought that Belgium was the Dutch -- my wife had to correct me -- which shows my lack of knowledge for most things international. Hockey is about as international as I get as far as sports go.

It must be the great pride and passion that these athletes display not just for their team or their sport but for their nation and fellow countrymen that draws my attention every four years. Some are turned off by this overt nationalism, but I find it to be kind of cool. Very inspiring. It give me goose bumps at times, which is good. Maybe if I had to deal with it every day I would be soccer fan, but every four years is OK.

One final example that, if nothing else does, proves the magic that the World Cup brings:
  • I agree 100% with Keith Olbermann in his analysis. I can't believe I said that out loud, except that it sounds more like he's coming around to my way of thinking than vice versa. 
Olbermann: How To Make Soccer Work In America
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11166044

So anyway, bye-bye World Cup. See you in another four years.

Bye-bye soccer, see you in another four years.

Bye-bye Keith ( "Bed-Wetter" ), probably won't agree with you for another four years. How did he nail that?



==




Tuesday, July 1st, 2014

http://fcaresources.com/devotional/peace-midst-chaos



Having spent the first ten years of my life with an undiagnosed case of Tourette Syndrome—a neurological disorder characterized by uncontrollable physical and verbal tics—I did not experience a lot of peace. Yet even though my life often felt chaotic, I knew I could always count on one person to provide calm and stability—my grandmother.
Nana’s sense of peace was powerful because it came from her faith in the Lord. Through her, God revealed His love for me as well. It wasn’t long before I followed in her footsteps. I wanted the same kind of faith and peace she had, and that is exactly what God gave me.
Living with Tourette’s is not easy, but God has blessed me with the gift of athleticism and has done some powerful things in my life through the combination of these two gifts. He has helped me in my long-term success as a professional soccer player in the English Premier League and U.S. National Team; and He also has shown me ways to use my position as a professional athlete to encourage others with Tourette Syndrome.
Today, I am blessed to be living my dream. Yet, if my soccer career went away tomorrow, I know I would still have peace. That probably sounds crazy to most people, but that’s the kind of peace Christ gives. It is rooted in His love and it surpasses all understanding.
The disciples once learned a lesson about peace during an eventful boat ride. In Mark 4, they were crossing a lake with Jesus when a severe storm arose. The disciples feared for their lives, yet, among the chaos, Jesus slept calmly. When they woke Him, Jesus commanded the wind and the sea to “be still!” and there was peace. That is what He can do in our lives. Among our storms and our chaos, Jesus provides peace.
You can experience this same sense of love and peace, too. All you have to do is ask for it.



No comments:

Giants Top Minor League Prospects

  • 1. Joey Bart 6-2, 215 C Power arm and a power bat, playing a premium defensive position. Good catch and throw skills.
  • 2. Heliot Ramos 6-2, 185 OF Potential high-ceiling player the Giants have been looking for. Great bat speed, early returns were impressive.
  • 3. Chris Shaw 6-3. 230 1B Lefty power bat, limited defensively to 1B, Matt Adams comp?
  • 4. Tyler Beede 6-4, 215 RHP from Vanderbilt projects as top of the rotation starter when he works out his command/control issues. When he misses, he misses by a bunch.
  • 5. Stephen Duggar 6-1, 170 CF Another toolsy, under-achieving OF in the Gary Brown mold, hoping for better results.
  • 6. Sandro Fabian 6-0, 180 OF Dominican signee from 2014, shows some pop in his bat. Below average arm and lack of speed should push him towards LF.
  • 7. Aramis Garcia 6-2, 220 C from Florida INTL projects as a good bat behind the dish with enough defensive skill to play there long-term
  • 8. Heath Quinn 6-2, 190 OF Strong hitter, makes contact with improving approach at the plate. Returns from hamate bone injury.
  • 9. Garrett Williams 6-1, 205 LHP Former Oklahoma standout, Giants prototype, low-ceiling, high-floor prospect.
  • 10. Shaun Anderson 6-4, 225 RHP Large frame, 3.36 K/BB rate. Can start or relieve
  • 11. Jacob Gonzalez 6-3, 190 3B Good pedigree, impressive bat for HS prospect.
  • 12. Seth Corry 6-2 195 LHP Highly regard HS pick. Was mentioned as possible chip in high profile trades.
  • 13. C.J. Hinojosa 5-10, 175 SS Scrappy IF prospect in the mold of Kelby Tomlinson, just gets it done.
  • 14. Garett Cave 6-4, 200 RHP He misses a lot of bats and at times, the plate. 13 K/9 an 5 B/9. Wild thing.

2019 MLB Draft - Top HS Draft Prospects

  • 1. Bobby Witt, Jr. 6-1,185 SS Colleyville Heritage HS (TX) Oklahoma commit. Outstanding defensive SS who can hit. 6.4 speed in 60 yd. Touched 97 on mound. Son of former major leaguer. Five tool potential.
  • 2. Riley Greene 6-2, 190 OF Haggerty HS (FL) Florida commit.Best HS hitting prospect. LH bat with good eye, plate discipline and developing power.
  • 3. C.J. Abrams 6-2, 180 SS Blessed Trinity HS (GA) High-ceiling athlete. 70 speed with plus arm. Hitting needs to develop as he matures. Alabama commit.
  • 4. Reece Hinds 6-4, 210 SS Niceville HS (FL) Power bat, committed to LSU. Plus arm, solid enough bat to move to 3B down the road. 98MPH arm.
  • 5. Daniel Espino 6-3, 200 RHP Georgia Premier Academy (GA) LSU commit. Touches 98 on FB with wipe out SL.

2019 MLB Draft - Top College Draft Prospects

  • 1. Adley Rutschman C Oregon State Plus defender with great arm. Excellent receiver plus a switch hitter with some pop in the bat.
  • 2. Shea Langliers C Baylor Excelent throw and catch skills with good pop time. Quick bat, uses all fields approach with some pop.
  • 3. Zack Thompson 6-2 LHP Kentucky Missed time with an elbow issue. FB up to 95 with plenty of secondary stuff.
  • 4. Matt Wallner 6-5 OF Southern Miss Run producing bat plus mid to upper 90's FB closer. Power bat from the left side, athletic for size.
  • 5. Nick Lodolo LHP TCU Tall LHP, 95MPH FB and solid breaking stuff.